Sunday, January 17, 2010

Dave's 2009 movie awards

Unfortunately, I'm going to require you to take my word for it, but I actually finished this post prior to Sunday night's airing of the Golden Globes. The reason it's so unfortunate is that a lot of my picks happened to be the same. Now I'm sure the talented crop of actors and actresses are much more excited for a Golden Globe win than a win on my blog, but nonetheless the Foreign Press and I happened to see eye to eye a lot.

As a disclaimer, let me point out a warning that there are a few notable films I haven't seen this year. However, I do have 70 films to reference from for my personal selections.

Notable Films I am yet to see released in 2009: A Single Man, Nine and Sherlock Holmes.

Now after my disclaimer, here are my 2009 award winners (and runner ups) for some personalized categories.


First, the Nominees for Best Comedy are:

* The Men Who Stare At Goats

* Zombieland

* Funny People

* The Hangover

* Adventureland


and the winner is ...


The Hangover. There was a lot of hype for this film and it exceeded ALL expectations. Bradley Cooper and Zach Galifana blah blah blah were hilarious. The Mike Tyson cameo was even an added bonus to the film.


Next, the nominees for Best Horror/Thriller are:

* The Orphan

* The House of the Devil

* Law Abiding Citizen

* Moon

* Taking of Pelham 1 2 3


and the winner is ...


Law Abiding Citizen. Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler were excellent in this intense picture that was partially filmed in Philadelphia. At first you empathize with Butler but as the film progresses so does the villain.


The Nominees for Best Supporting Actress are:

* Mo'Nique (Precious)

* Vera Farmiga (Up in the Air)

* Maggie Gyllenhaal (Crazy Heart)

* Sigourney Weaver (Avatar)

* Anna Kendrick (Up in the Air)


and the winner is ...


Mo'Nique (Precious). She played such a despicable villain, but she played it to a "T". I was blown away by her performance, and she may be the sole reason why EVERYONE must see this film.


The Nominees for Best Supporting Actor are:

* Woody Harrelson (Zombieland)

* Robert Downey Jr (The Soloist)

* Colin Farrell (Crazy Heart)

* John Malkovich (The Great Buck Howard)

* Alfred Molina (An Education)


and the winner is ...


Alfred Molina (An Education). This was a very unexpected performance in an unexpected film. Molina's character demonstrated the perfect combination of humor and drama in this Oscar worthy picture.


The Nominees for Best Actress in a Motion Picture are:

* Sandra Bullock (Blindside)

* Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)

* Zooey Deschanel (500 Days of Summer)

* Meryl Streep (Julie & Julia)

* Carey Mulligan (An Education)


and the winner is ...


Sandra Bullock (Blindside). I happen to be a big Sandra Bullock fan and this was easily one of the best performances of her career. She carried this "feel good" film.


The Nominees for Best Actor in a Motion Picture are:

* Ben Foster (The Messenger)

* Morgan Freeman (Invictus)

* George Clooney (Up in the Air)

* Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)

* Jeremy Renner (The Hurt Locker)


and the winner is ...


George Clooney (Up in the Air). This was a terrific role for Clooney, and he was nothing short of spectacular. Clooney, of late, has proved to be one of the best "character" actors in the business.


The Nominees for Best Director of a Motion Picture are:

* Lee Daniels (Precious)

* James Cameron (Avatar)

* Jason Reitmann (Up in the Air)

* The Coen Brothers (A Serious Man)

* Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer)


and the winner is ...


James Cameron (Avatar). It must have been a difficult task humanizing characters that use CGI but he pulled it off and created a masterpiece with Avatar. If you haven't yet, go see it in theatres (Yes Poppie, I'm referencing you!)


And finally, the Nominees for Best Motion Picture of 2009 are:

* Up in the Air

* Avatar

* District 9

* An Education

* Precious


and the winner is ...


Precious. This drama was an amazing motion picture that truly shocked me. It incorporated great acting, a great story, and great direction. Hence, it's my choice for best picture.


If there's anyone or any movie you feel I missed let me know (there's gotta be some Tarantino lovers out there who think I'm crazy)! I will update this blog as I see the above mentioned movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment