Thursday, July 22, 2010

Christopher Nolan, You're Our Only Hope!

December 31st, 2010. In my lifetime, New Year's Eve has always had its "checklist". I know I'll be celebrating it with close friends. I'll text my mother at midnight. I'll be watching Dick Clark on the tube, and tomorrow will begin a whole new year of cinema. So as the countdown unwinds, 3 ... 2 ... 1... HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Well as it's turned out, there hasn't been too much to be happy about when it comes to movies in 2010. I've seen 17 films released this year and only 1 is worthy of high praise. I'll come back to that thought later though.

Summertime is always blockbuster season. Last year, in the dog days of June, July, and August the movie gods rewarded us with films like The Hangover, District 9, and Sherlock Holmes. I guess sometimes the sun just shines brightly on us. This Summer season though, we've spent our hard earned dollars going to theatres to see lackluster films like The Grown Ups, Get Him to the Greek, and what was a slight glimmer of hope in Iron Man 2. The only positive this year has been a kid's movie that I've waited 15 years for. And believe me, Toy Story 3, we are thankful and we salute you. But where are all the deeply rooted, thought provoking films I long for? How long would I have to wait for a mind blowing cinematic experience?

That all changed one week ago today. Christopher Nolan, the latest phenom in direction, has perhaps shown us a light at the end of the tunnel. Nolan has directed praiseworthy films such as Memento, The Prestige, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight. That filmography isn't too shabby. But his July 16th release, Inception, had so much buzz and hype surrounding it, I questioned whether or not it could live up to expectations. To my surprise, it seems like I shouldn't worry too much. Inception, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, has been the toast of the town receiving high praises from EVERYONE.

The movie theatre experience is sacred to me. Nothing bothers me more than chit chat or texting during a film. I know every showtime is going to be packed for some time, so I probably won't venture off to see it until it's nearing the end of it's run (hopefully nothing gets spoiled for me). When I do, I will let you know if Inception is the real deal. And if it is, once again, Thank You Christopher Nolan!

No comments:

Post a Comment