Wednesday, July 17, 2013

DVD Outlook: July 2013

While June's DVD selections were extremely mediocre, July's take a small step forward. With many middling releases as well, July's biggest boost comes from the #1 selection on my Top 5 of 2013 (so far) list. Here are some DVD releases you should look forward to this month:




Trance - 3 stars out of 4 - (Read my full review here)

As my favorite film of 2013 (so far), director Danny Boyle's Trance is a mind-bending and spellbinding journey into the world of hypnosis. Boyle, who is best known for directing hits such as Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours and Trainspotting, places the audience inside of an art-heist gone wrong. And when the thieves' insider, Simon (played by James McAvoy), can't remember where he stashed the valuable piece of art, they must resort to hypnosis. Backed by Boyle's always stylish directing and a collaboration of great performances from McAvoy, Vincent Cassel and Rosario Dawson, Trance is one of 2013's early-year highlights.  (JULY 23RD)




42 - Not Yet Reviewed - (No full review available)

While I'm doing something here that I RARELY ever do, I'm going out on a limb and recommending Brian Helgeland's 42 without having seen it myself. I plan on checking out this biopic of Jackie Robinson and his breaking of the color barrier in Major League Baseball very soon. With my first trip ever to MLB's Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY scheduled for this weekend, now seems as good a time as any to check out 42. Despite the fact that I haven't seen the film, I've heard only average to good reviews and I anticipated that any fan of sports movies and drama will be able to find a silver lining in the movie. (JULY 16TH)




Evil Dead - 2 and a half stars out of 4 - (No full review available)

As a huge fan of horror movies, I was skeptical about Fede Alvarez's remake of the cult classic, Evil Dead. However, I was shocked to experience a terrifying and most certainly over the top horror extravaganza. If you love gore, violence and some of the freakiest things you'll ever see in a mainstream movie, then Evil Dead is right up your alley. When five friends in a remote cabin discover a mysterious book and unknowingly summon an evil demon living in the woods, their survival feel highly unlikely. Although the film is clearly overbearing, especially in its finale, there's still more than enough for any true horror fan to enjoy. (JULY 16TH)


Honorable Mention: For anyone who doesn't mind catching a foreign film, I am recommending Ron Morales' Filipino thriller, Graceland (7/23), as well as Ken Scott's french-spoken Canadian film, Starbuck (7/23). In fact, Starbuck has been remade into an American movie being released this November starring Vince Vaughn called Delivery Man. And finally, my last recommendation for the month is one I give with many reservations. Spring Breakers (7/9) is a trippy and stylish film that is sure to alienate many and please a few. If you think it could be something you'd enjoy, check out my review and take a chance on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment