Monday, October 31, 2011

Philadelphia Film Festival UPDATE 10/31



The winterlike conditions in the Philadelphia region couldn't keep the crowds away from this weekend's festival line-up. Saturday boasted two of the most talked about films at the festival this year, My Week with Marilyn and The Descendants. From the loud cheers heard throughout the theatres, it's obvious that neither film disappointed. And although movies will continue to show through Wednesday evening, I've seen just about everything I could. 13 movies all together, and my festival wrap up (which will include my ratings for each movie, and lots more) will be posted shortly. Here are brief summaries for Saturday's big features:





My Week with Marilyn stars Michelle Williams as Marilyn Monroe. The remarkable true story follows the third assistant director Colin Clark (brilliantly played by Eddie Redmayne) as he falls in love with Marilyn Monroe during the production of Laurence Olivier's The Prince and the Showgirl.






The Descendants stars George Clooney as Matt King, a backup parent who's forced to take the reins when his wife ends up comatose after a boating accident. King also discovers that his wife's been unfaithful, and the unfortunate situation turns into a bonding experience between the father and his two daughters.




Even though there were only a handful of movies that I missed out on during the festival, I still had a great time. In the upcoming days I'll be giving my star ratings for each of the films I watched, as well as my own personal awards for the 6 major categories. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment