Thursday, October 25, 2012

PFF: Wednesday Night Recap



Wednesday night movie watching at the 21st annual Philadelphia Film Festival included a sold out screening to The Comedy starring Tim Heidecker. Clearly a polarizing film, The Comedy's diverse audience found a few sporadic walkouts capped off with a sustained and supportive round of applause as the credits rolled. Personally, I didn't know what to think about the movie. Rather than the typical narrative, The Comedy finds itself as a collage of funny moments pieced together with no identifiable plot. And while I definitely found myself laughing at bits and pieces of the film, I was otherwise let down by the lack of structure and purpose being displayed onscreen.


A Look At Today:

As I sit here writing this I wish I felt as energized as I should about the trio of movies I have in mind for today. However, this cold has me coughing quite a bit, which can only be irritating to myself and my fellow movie watchers sitting around me. But assuming I feel up to the challenge, today's first feature will be The Atomic States of America. In 2010, the U.S. announced the first construction of a nuclear power plant in over three decades. This documentary warns of the dangers associated with building such facilities. Next on the agenda is the indie film Future Weather. The movie follows a thirteen year old girl living in rural America who attempts to secretly make it on her own after her mother runs off and abandons her in order to pursue a lifelong dream. Closing out the trio of movies is the potential Oscar-nominated film Hyde Park on Hudson. Bill Murray stars as president Franklin D. Roosevelt as he plays host to the King and Queen of England just prior to the start of World War II. Check out the trailer for Hyde Park on Hudson by clicking below, and remember to keep coming back for more festival recaps.


No comments:

Post a Comment